The Library: One Room Challenge Week 4

Last year, when I completed the kitchen pantry and the dining room as our One Room Challenge™ projects, I fared pretty well without a lot of panic. This year, not so much. The exhaustion is setting in, and the to-do list still looks way too long to complete in only two weeks.

So where are we with this room? We are everywhere and nowhere and all points in between. I have divided myself between all of the tasks instead of focusing on one until it is complete. It is not an ideal way to move through a big job like this, but since I am working mostly alone, it helps stave off the loneliness and boredom.

The Floor

The floor is 95% sanded.

Unfortunately, the edger was too tall to fit under the shelves, so I am stuck sanding under there with the orbital sander and the mouse.

Sanding with the smaller tools is excruciatingly slow, so I tackle it in 15-minute increments. I used a chemical stripper to take off the tough top layer of poly.

Working on the floors before the walls is a bit of a risk, but the finished floor needs to cure for at least a week before we can put the rug on it, and as you well know, time is running out! Also, sanding creates a whole separate dust disaster, and I did not want to get the grasscloth or chalkboard wall full of dust and grime. To protect the vulnerable floor, I wear shoe covers in the room, and I hold a towel under all of the paintbrushes and rollers. Fortunately, I am also a freakishly neat painter.

The Walls

I have made a lot of progress on the walls, but none of it is very visible yet. We are still about a week away from wallpaper and paint. The prep work takes three different primers!

I am using the Zinnser Gardz on the wall we are painting to seal the chalky surface leftover from old wallpaper paste. I am using Kilz Odorless Oil-Base on all of the woodwork. The Zinnser Shieldz is for the grasscloth wallpaper walls.

Once this challenge is over, I will post more specifically about each primer.

The Windows

This week, I had the replacement glass cut for the windows. All together, there are 5 broken panes. When I can steal a few minutes, I sand, prime or paint the sashes.

By the end of this weekend, I plan to have all of the new panes in the windows. Then, we can reinstall them next week.

During week 2, I posted a general pacing list, and I updated it today. It is satisfying to see that everything is moving along especially since the entire project still feels so disjointed.

Pacing: Week by Week

  1. Week 1: Tear out Wallpaper and Acoustic Tile  – DONE
  2. Week 2: Get estimates for ceiling repair and remove Windows – DONE
  3. Week 3: Ceiling Repair – Wall Repair – Window Repair – IN PROGRESS
  4. Week 4: Continue Wall & Window Repair – Paint – IN PROGRESS
  5. Week 5: Finish DIY work table, Refinish Floors – IN PROGRESS
  6. Week 6: Finish Everything – Reveal! (Holy cow! That’s vague and somewhat terrifying.)

At this point, I have purchased all the supplies we need to get everything done. That was a task in itself. Next week, the update should be more visually appealing. Thank you for hanging in here with me while I am still sweating and toiling with the basics of this project. I will not give up.

Please head over to Calling It Home to take a look at all of the One Room Challenge™ rooms from the featured designers and the other guest participants too. I am so jealous of everyone who is down to the details of their project already, but I am proud of them too. The ORC is not easy. If there is a specific ORC project that is inspiring you during this challenge, feel free to post a link in the comments.

Also, we post real-time updates all week on Instagram. Head on over to stay in the loop between posts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *